Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New year, 2007

Hurray, It's a new year! Happy New year all - except for those of you celebrating lunar new year. Then I'm premature.

I have decided not to finish my account of the summer. I've had it with reminiscing over the pain and the last five weeks were a further degradation of camp relations and general panic - not exactly uplifting material. so, let's move on:

I am now doing my masters up in Thunder Bay at Lakehead University. I'll be studying an area that few people will ever see - Musselwhite Mine up at Opapimiskan Lake, Nothern Ontario. It's beautiful up there - all trees, hills and lakes. Endless lakes. It was beautiful flying up in the evening - the sunset painting the land red with darkening blue sky overhead. There are bald eagles, bears and wolves up there too, and ravens - man, are those things big! I'm looking forward to continuing flying up north. plus I get to learn, which is a bonus for me.

I also got to TA for the first time this past semester. I like teaching - but I know I have little patience for people who don't want to be in class, and I also know I have trouble relating to people who really struggle with certain topics which are easy for me to uderstand. So that's why I am doing my masters and not Teacher's college - I don't think I'd make a good public/secondary school teacher. It looks like I'm fairly decent, too - as one of my students asked if I was going to be TAing this semester too. I'm pleased, as I love helping and telling people about things I love, and seeing them love the same things too! It can be frustrating, but it's well worth it.

Christmas was... interesting. My parents had moved a month ago to Toronto for four months (it's a long, depressing story which I won't relate) and I helped set up some shelves in the basement, cooked Christmas dinner (turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, squash, sweet potatoes) and helped my brother move out of his apartment back in with my parents. so, both my brothers live at home and I am here. Most days there was some fighting (typical of my family), and several days, we all just crashed. On the plus side, I got to see a ton of friends, people from church, and my family had a good New Year's Eve. For those of you I got to see, thank you - I really appreciate seeing old friends. for those of you I didn't manage to see, hopefully next time, eh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

HEY!!! I didn't know you have a blog!!!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home